3.28.2013

Louis Vuitton A/W 2013: Prostitution Chic?

Yesterday, I watched a short fashion film that I found to be a bit unsettling. Produced by Love Magazine's editor-in-chief Kate Grand and directed by James Lima, the film is meant to be a promotional video for Louis Vuitton's Autumn/Winter 2013-14 collection.

To say the film is "controversial" would be an understatement: the models are wearing the Louis Vuitton collection while they appear to be soliciting sex.

Since its release, Louis Vuitton has tried its best to distance itself from the video, according to French publication The Local. Since I first watched the clip on Huffington Post last night, Kate Grand has apologized for any offense the short vid may have caused in a statement to Fashionista.

I first wrote my response to the video last night, on a group board on Facebook, but I thought I would give you a chance to see for yourself what the controversy is about. Keep in mind that the fashion film is NSFW and contains brief nudity.


Here is my initial response:

This is the analogy I took away from the clip and its imagery:  The models, being paid to wear clothes and sell a brand, are prostitutes; Marc Jacobs, as the designer, is their pimp.

As a whole, whether it be through design or marketing, and other etc. whatnot, the fashion industry will always push boundaries. It will always make someone, somewhere feel uncomfortable. It would be silly to deny that sex sells. However, when I consider the devastating implications of human trafficking, I personally am disgusted by what the video implies. 

It seems as though Love, the magazine, is trying to make a point, but what is it exactly? That the industry is morally bankrupt on selling? I don't see a positive spin to the story portrayed.

What do you think of the video?

I can't help but wonder if the roles were reversed--if the designer was a woman and the models were men, would there still be outrage? Also, did Marc Jacobs have a part in the creation of the film? Despite Louis Vuitton's official stance, their creative director is not only featured--styling models backstage at the recent Louis Vuitton A/W 2013-14 runway show--but he is thanked at the end of the credits.

Film Credit: Love Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
Leave a comment & I'll be sure to visit yours.

-- That Chelsea Girl

All content, unless written otherwise, is property of Chelsea Hands.
Use of author's personal photos is strictly forbidden.